Monday, October 14, 2013

Reviewer as an Author

          As a writer myself, taking various classes in college and high school for creative writing I think that I have enough experience to say that I could understand where an author's stand point would be when receiving a review. One the biggest things that I hope people can take away from the memoir that I will be that writing is not only an art form at a lot of work, people need to be respectful. Reviewing can be a very powerful tool, both as being a way to make an author feel proud of their book, or make an author feel less dirt.
         I suppose on the things I that I hope by gaining while writing this memoir is also to find a better way to express feelings on a book without coming off as harsh as I might off to other authors. There is a point of being harsh and helpful.
        I understand that reading is a very opinionated thing, while a beautiful piece of literature maybe written but what is entertaining for one reader might not be the same for the next. It becomes even more complex when new genres arrive, and when new ideas are being presented. Genres along with age limits, there are many things that should go into when even starting a book.
        While I am not an avid reader of literature with my soon to be degree it grants me some rights as a reader to make certain statements because I take in the book, I critique with evidence and research. With day to day reviewing of works of fictions I can sort of see the same here, while I will not just say this book was bad. I will explain why I thought this: was it the genre i like, was it to similar to another book, there is a lot that is considered. I hope that people also will be able to take that away from my memoir.

No comments:

Post a Comment